Ju 390 ✙
Long Range Heavy Bomber
The Junkers Ju 390 long-range heavy bomber was a six-engine version of the Ju 290 aircraft with increased wingspan and wing area, the length of the aircraft was also increased by inserting the fuselage section just behind the wing. RLM ordered three experimental vehicles. At the same time, the first was carried out in the transport version, the second - a sea reconnaissance, and the third - a bomber.
BMW 801Ds were used as engines on three prototypes, and more powerful BMW 801E engines were envisaged on production vehicles. The main landing gear consists of four struts with two wheels on each, installed in the nacelles of the internal and middle engines. The armament, in comparison with the Junkers Ju 290, was strengthened, defensive: four 13mm MG-131 machine guns with 1300 rounds per barrel in the bow and tail turrets, two MG-151/20 cannons with 1200 rounds per barrel in the upper front and rear towers with hydraulic drive, two MG-151/20 with 800 rounds per barrel in a remotely controlled unit under the cockpit and two MG-151/20 in onboard units. Bomb load: four under-dust holders for hanging 1800 kg bombs or missiles Hs. 293, Hs. 294 or FХ-1400 each.
The first prototype, Junkers Ju 390V1 (GH + UK), assembled at the company's plant in Dessau, first flew in August 1943.The aircraft was flight tested as a long-range transport aircraft, but it was also intended to be used as an air tanker for aircraft Ju 290. The second aircraft, Ju 390V2, built at the company's plant in Bernburg and took off two months later, was intended for testing as a naval reconnaissance aircraft. Compared to the first aircraft, it had a longer fuselage and was equipped with the Hohenthal FuG 200 locator, the defensive armament was similar to the armament of the Junkers Ju 290А. In January 1944, the vehicle entered military trials in the V group of long-range reconnaissance, based in the town of Mont-de-Marsan, south of Bordeaux. After several training flights, Junkers Ju 390V2 made a reconnaissance flight to an area located 20 km off the US coast north of New York, after which he returned to base.
Ju 390V3 (the prototype of the serial Ju 390А) was planned to be completed in the summer of 1944 as a bomber, but its construction was not completed.
In the fall of 1944, the Japanese acquired a license for the production of Ju 390A. According to the licensing agreement, the drawings of the aircraft by February 28, 1945 were supposed to be delivered to the attaché of the Japanese army, Major General Otani, but it is not known whether this was done.