Aviation of World War II
Newspaper "Soviet Siberia" September 18, 1944
From the Soviet Information Bureau
SEPTEMBER 18 LIVE SUMMARY
During September 18, west of the city of IELGAVA (MITAVA), our troops successfully repelled attacks by enemy infantry and tanks.
To the south and southeast of the city of SANOK, our troops fought forward and captured the city and railway station of the Drohobych region, the city and the railway station OYSTRIKI DOLNYE, and also occupied more than 30 other settlements, among them NADOLYANY, NOVOTANETS, BUKOVSKO, KARLYKUV, KULASHNE, MYCHKOVTSY, BUBRKA, LOBOZEV, USTYANOVA.
In other sectors of the front - battles of local importance and the search for scouts.
On September 17, our troops knocked out and destroyed 134 German tanks on all fronts. In air battles and anti-aircraft artillery fire, 62 enemy aircraft were shot down.
MASS FLIGHTS OF OUR AVIATION ON THE CITIES AND RAILWAY JUNCTIONS OF DEBRECEN AND SATUMARE
On the night of September 18, our long-range aviation carried out massive raids on the city and railway junction of Debrecen (in Hungary), the city and railway junction of Satu Mare (in Northern Transylvania). Soviet planes bombarded military trains and military depots of the Germans and Hungarians.
As a result of the bombardment, many fires broke out at the Debrecen railway junction, 5 of them were large fires. Railway cars and platforms were burning, as well as a large fuel depot. The ammunition depot was blown up by a direct hit of the bombs.
More than 30 fires have been set off by bombardment at the Satu Mare railway junction. Surveillance noted a large number of explosions among the fire. Fuel tanks and military depots were blown up.
FLIGHT OF OUR MARINE AVIATION ON THE PORT OF LEPAYA (LIBAVA)
In the afternoon of September 16, the aircraft of the Red Banner Baltic Fleet raided the port of Lepaya (Libava) and bombarded enemy ships in the port. As a result of the bombardment, three enemy transports with a total displacement of up to 12,000 tons and three German submarines were sunk. In addition, two large transports and a floating dock were damaged. There were big fires in the port. Warehouses with enemy military equipment were burning.
In air battles in the port area, Soviet pilots shot down 19 German aircraft.
To the west of the city of Ielgava (Mitava), large forces of enemy infantry, tanks and self-propelled guns attacked our positions several times. The Germans tried at all costs to break through the Soviet defenses and reach the city of Ielgava. All enemy attacks failed. The Soviet infantrymen and artillerymen have driven back the enemy and are firmly holding their positions. More than 600 German soldiers and officers were exterminated, 43 enemy tanks were knocked out and burned. In addition, 11 enemy tanks were blown up in our minefields.
Our aviation inflicted heavy losses on the enemy in manpower and equipment with bombing and assault strikes. In aerial combat during the day, Soviet pilots shot down 23 German aircraft.
The German agency "Transocean" on September 17 transmitted the following message: "In order to free up young people to work in factories, railways and other enterprises in the Soviet Union, all universities, higher schools and research institutes are closed."
Spreading utter lies about the closure of higher educational institutions in the USSR, the Nazis disgraced themselves in the most shameful way. Even during the most difficult periods of the war, the universities and research institutions of the Soviet Union continued to operate without interruption. Recently, 120 institutions of higher learning have been restored in the cities liberated from the Nazi invaders. Rostov University and Novocherkassk Industrial Institute resumed work. Kyiv Polytechnic Institute, Kharkov University and many others. On October 1, training sessions will begin in higher educational institutions of the USSR. The Soviet people boldly look to the future and train specialists for all branches of industry, agriculture, culture and science. And in fascist Germany, in connection with the new super-total mobilization, indeed, all higher schools were closed and sciences were abolished as unnecessary. That is why the Hitlerite swindlers spread all sorts of fables. They think that there will be eccentrics who will believe that not only in Germany, but also in the Soviet Union, higher educational institutions are closed. Pathetic trick! How impoverished were the Hitlerite liars. Every day they lie more and more ridiculously and more stupidly.
Nazi criminals take refuge in Spain and Argentina
LONDON, 18 September. (TASS). A diplomatic columnist for the Sunday Dispatch newspaper writes that every four to six hours German planes arrive in Barcelona (Spain) from Stuttgart.
Each time, 24 Nazis fleeing Germany arrive on them, while there is an opportunity. From Spain they go to Argentina. Following these passenger planes, transport planes arrive, on which the things and property of the Nazis and their valuables are delivered.
The Sunday Express newspaper in its editorial notes that Hitler can find refuge and a good reception in Argentina.
“The time has come,” writes the newspaper, “to speak openly with this country. We British, in agreement with our allies, do not want Hitler to exercise, anywhere, the sacred right of asylum. We are determined to capture him and his top lieutenants dead or alive, better alive than dead. If Argentina gives him protection, it is necessary that economic sanctions be immediately applied to this country. Argentina supplies us with a large quantity of the meat we require. If the capture of Hitler costs all our meat allowance, we will pay the price."
The atrocities of the Germans in the extermination camp on Majdanek
In August 1944, the Polish-Soviet Extraordinary Commission was created to investigate the atrocities committed by the Germans in the extermination camp on Majdanek in the city of Lublin. Recently, the Commission completed its work and published a Communique on the results of the investigation.
“Everything that the Commission of Investigation of German Atrocities and Mountains encountered. Lublin, the Communiqué says, “in its brutality and barbarity leaves far behind the facts of the monstrous atrocities of the German fascist invaders already known to international public opinion.”
In Lublin on Majdanek, the Nazis created a huge death plant. The captured Germans who served in the camp testified that they themselves called it "Fernichtungslager", that is, the extermination camp.
The Majdanek camp is located two kilometers from the Polish city of Lublin. It covers an area of 270 hectares. Its construction began at the end of 1940. By the beginning of 1943, the construction of 6 fields of the camp was completed. There were 24 barracks on each field, and a total of 144 barracks (not including service buildings), each containing up to 300 people or more. The entire camp, and inside each field separately, were surrounded by wire fences, through which high-voltage electric current passed.
The camp could simultaneously accommodate from 25 to 40 thousand prisoners. In some periods, it contained up to 45 thousand people. According to a large number of passports and other documents found in the camp, according to the book of records of those who died in the "camp infirmary" and the testimonies of witnesses, as well as captured Germans, it was established that prisoners of war of the former Polish army, Soviet prisoners of war, citizens of Poland, France, Belgium, Italy, Holland, Czechoslovakia, Greece, Yugoslavia, Denmark, Norway and other countries.
The composition of the camp's prisoners was not constant and stable. The people contained in it were systematically destroyed, and in their place the Nazis brought in new batches of prisoners from the occupied countries and regions of Europe. Among them were many women and children. Thus, for the vast majority of those sent there, the camp was only a temporary stage on the road to death.
A whole system of extermination of people was used in the camp. One of the essential means of this system was a cruel regime: hunger, overwork, bullying. The prisoners eked out a hungry existence. For the slightest fault, they were completely deprived of food for several days. They were forced to do backbreaking work from 4 am until late in the evening. German guards tortured their victims in every possible way: they drowned them in dirty water, hung them by their hands tied back, hung them, etc.
The investigation found that the Germans systematically carried out mass executions both in the camp itself and not far from it in the Krempetsky forest, for example, in November-December 1941, about 2,000 were shot, and in the winter of 1912 - about 5,000 Soviet prisoners of war. About 4,000 prisoners of war of the former Polish army were shot in the autumn of 1942. In the summer of 1943, 300 Soviet officers were shot. On November 3, 1943, 18,400 people were shot. On this occasion, the camp administration sent a report to Berlin called "Sondersbeandlung" (special event), which stated: "The difference between the number of prisoners held in the camp in the morning and in the evening arose as a result of the special destruction of 18,000 people."
One of the most common methods of mass extermination of people was asphyxiation with CO gas (carbon monoxide) and chemically poisonous substance "cyclone" (hydrocyanic acid). 6 gas chambers were found on the territory of the camp. Prisoners were also killed in a specially adapted car - "gas chamber". The German Oberscharführer "SS" Ternes, who served in the camp, testified that on October 16, 1943, 500 people were killed in the gas chambers, including many women and children. According to far from complete data, a large group of sick women and children were strangled in these cells: in October 1942 - a large group of sick women and children, in March 1943 - 250 women and children, 300 Poles, 300 people of various nationalities, on June 20, 1943 - 350 people, October 14, 1913 - 270 people.
To hide the traces of their crimes, the Germans burned the corpses of the people they killed. To do this, already at the beginning of 1942, two furnaces were built on the territory of the camp. By the autumn of 1943, the construction of a new powerful crematorium for 5 furnaces was completed. Since then, they have burned continuously. Along with this, the Germans burned corpses at the stake. The commission established that more than one million 380 thousand corpses were burned in the crematorium ovens, on the fires and in the Krempetsky forest and in the camp itself. The Nazis buried the ashes in pits and ditches, scattered them on the territory of the camp gardens, and used them to fertilize the fields. Over 1,350 cubic meters of compost, consisting of manure, ashes from burnt corpses, and small human bones, were found in the "extermination camp".
All these facts were confirmed by the former military commandant, Mt. Lublin Lieutenant General of the German Army Gilmar Moser.
The Germans robbed the prisoners, and the things and property taken from them were carefully sorted and sent to Germany. Over 820 thousand pairs of men's, women's and children's shoes of tortured and dead people were found in a huge warehouse in the camp, and a huge amount of linen and all kinds of personal items were found in the Gestapo warehouse (Chopin Street, Lublin). All this plundered property was an item of income for the Hitlerite robber state and its criminal leaders.
The Lublin extermination camp was an instrument of fascist Germany for the mass extermination of the civilian population of European countries, including Poland and the occupied regions of the USSR, and the extermination of the advanced and active part of the Slavic peoples. The Polish-Soviet Extraordinary Commission established that during the four-year existence of the Majdanek extermination camp, the Nazi executioners, on the orders of their criminal government, exterminated about one and a half million people - Soviet prisoners of war, prisoners of war of the former Polish army, citizens of various nationalities of Europe.
The main culprits of these monstrous atrocities are the Nazi government of Germany, the chief executioner Himmler and their henchmen in the territory of the Lublin Voivodeship. By mass extermination of the civilian population, the Nazi invaders sought to break the resistance of the peoples of the occupied countries and enslave them.
The Polish-Soviet Extraordinary Commission also revealed the perpetrators of the atrocities committed in the Majdanek camp on the orders of the Nazi German government. Together with their "fuhrers" they will suffer a well-deserved punishment. Fascist murderers will not escape responsibility. The freedom-loving peoples, headed by the USSR, Britain and the USA, will destroy the lair of the fascist beast and punish the German fascist scoundrels for all their atrocities.
September 18, 2014