Light Reconnaissance and Liaison aircraft
Ki-76 . Comparison of the time frame indicates that when the German Fi-156 purchased in Germany for study in 1942 (according to other sources in August 1941) arrived in Japan, the prototype of the Japanese analogue, which first took off in May 1941, had already passed everything. testing stages that did not reveal serious problems.
However, upon the arrival of the German car in Japan, it was decided to conduct comparative tests, which revealed that in many respects the Japanese analogue is superior to the "German". In particular, the takeoff distance of the Japanese aircraft was 58 meters, compared to the 62 meters required for Fisilera to take off. The landing run length was also shorter - 62 versus 68 meters. Although, in fairness, it should be noted that the German data significantly differed from those obtained by the Japanese, which can only be explained by the popular proverb about waders praising their swamp. True, the use of the domestic Hitachi Na-42 radial engine in Matsuhara's plane, which rotated a wooden two-blade propeller with a diameter of 2.5 m, compared to the in-line Argus of the "German", seriously impaired the view in the front hemisphere.
The wing mechanization schemes were somewhat different on the German and Japanese machines. On both aircraft fixed slats were used, but unlike the hovering ailerons on the Storch, on the Ki-76, the Japanese aircraft received this designation, Fowler's flaps were used. The chassis design also differed. In addition, due to the slightly longer length of the Japanese aircraft, the stabilizer angle was different. Despite the slightly more power of the Japanese engine compared to the German Argus, the Ki-76 was 200 kg heavier and developed less speed than the Storch. But this disadvantage was not significant for cars of this class.
In general, the Japanese aircraft made a favorable impression, and in October 1942, the aircraft was officially adopted by the Japanese army as "Renraku-ki San-shiki" - "Type 3 liaison aircraft" or Ki-76. Since the end of 1942, the aircraft went into mass production at the Nihon Kokusai Koku Kogyo K.K plant in the city of Hiratsuka, as the Yunkichi Terada company was called since 1941, after the merger with the Kokusai Kokuki K.K. company.
The simplicity of the design, high manufacturability and the absence of strategic materials in the Ki-76's design made it possible until the end of 1944, when production was curtailed, to produce 937 copies of this aircraft.
|Wing span, m
|Wing area, m²
|1 × PE Hitachi Hа-42, hp
||1 × 280
|Weight, kg: |
|Maximum speed, km/h
|Cruising speed, km/h
|Service ceiling, m
|Service range, km
|1 × movable 7.7-mm machine gun Te-4, bombs kg
||2 × 60
- Kokusai Ki-76 /Evgeny Aranov/
- Aviation of Japan /Andrey Firsov/
- Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War /Rene J Francillion/