Aviation of Word War II

Home Russian

Do.22

Torpedo Bomber

Dornier

Do-22

Do.22, floatplane, reconnaissance, bomber and torpedo bomber. The first flight in 1935, the beginning of operation - the end of 1938. Three-seat strut-braced monoplane. The power plant is a 12-cylinder Hispano-Suiza-12Ybrs engine with a capacity of 775 h.p. on takeoff and 860 h.p. at an altitude of 4000 m. The wing of a two-spar structure with fabric upholstery was attached to the fuselage on tubular struts. The chassis was also attached - wheels, floats or skis. The fuselage was welded from steel pipes and had a fabric skin. A tunnel was made in the fuselage behind the rear cockpit for firing from the lower machine gun. A single machine gun or twin gun was mounted on the Scarff turrets in the rear cockpit. There was also a synchronous machine gun. Three seats in the cockpit were located one after another. The pilot was positioned behind the wing cutout. Above the middle cockpit was a folding lantern, under which an observer sat.

A total of 30 aircraft were built.



Do.22
Crew 3
Dimensions
Wing span, m 16.20
Length, m 13.10
Height, m 4.85
Powerplant
1 × PE Hispano-Suiza-12Ybrs, power h.p. 1 × 750
Weight, kg
Empty 2,550
Loaded weight 4,000
Performance
Maximum speed, km/h 350
Cruising speed, km/h 300
Service ceiling, m 8,000
Service range, km 2,300

Armament. One synchronized 7.62 mm or 7.9 mm machine gun, one or two of the same machine guns on the Scarff turret and one machine gun in the lower tunnel;

1 × 800 kg torpedo in a two-seat version or 4 × 50 kg bombs on external suspensions.

Drawing Do-22

To designate aircraft built under different contracts, the suffixes were used - Do.22 Kg for Greece, Do.22 Kj - for Yugoslavia and Do.22 Kl for Latvia. The aircraft delivered to Greece constituted the 12th naval squadron, which had 10 aircraft at the time of the attack on the Italian country. Most of the Do.22s were lost in action over the next few weeks, but 8 of the 12 Yugoslav aircraft in April 1941. flew to Egypt, making up the 2nd (Yugoslavian) squadron there. The latter patrolled the Mediterranean Sea from Aboukir as part of the 230th squadron, starting on June 3, 1941. One Do.22 was disassembled for parts, and the rest worked until the squadron was disbanded in April 1942. Four Do.22 built for Latvia were delivered in 1941 in Finland and were included in T / LeLv-6, where they were used on wheels and floats for coastal reconnaissance and anti-submarine operations.

Bibliography

  • "Aviation of Luftwaffe" /Viktor Shunkov/
  • "Encyclopedia of military engineering" /Aerospace Publising/