Aviation of World War II
Gerhard Fieseler, one of the few pilots and entrepreneurs of the 1930s still alive today, was born on April 15, 1896*. He became famous in the First World War as an excellent fighter pilot, then as a successful flight pilot, and then as a competent judge in aerobatics competitions. In April 1930 he founded his own aircraft factory in Kassel. At first he tried to build gliders, but very quickly realized that he had to take a different path in order to survive. His first powered aircraft, the F2, was built in 1932. To secure funding for his small job, he flew this machine at various air rallies.
As a multiple German aerobatics champion, European champion in 1932 and world champion in 1934, Fieseler retired undefeated to devote himself entirely to his work. Thanks to his successful F-5 aircraft, it was possible for the first time to launch a small series, and thus ensure the continued existence of the Fieseler plant for some time. After 1933, the RLM "arrived in time" by signing contracts to develop a new aircraft for the Luftwaffe. However, despite military contracts, Fieseler remained faithful to the sports aircraft industry. For a sightseeing flight in Europe in 1934, he designed the Fi 97, a sports touring aircraft with excellent flight characteristics. "Young Tiger" ("Jungtiger") Fi 99 was conceived as a purebred sports aircraft. Taking into account the experience gained during the creation of the F-5, this new aircraft was also built with a fully enclosed cockpit, with seats arranged one behind the other.
The Fi 99 was built in very small numbers in 1937-1938, although it was an aircraft of very good performance. It is also worth mentioning that the Jungtiger was tested for towing with a drawbar. This could only be done with aircraft that had completely non-critical flight characteristics. With 160 hp Hirth HM 506 A motor. "Jungtigr" developed a maximum speed of up to 236 km / h.
*note - died 1987
The machine was designed as a mixed wood-metal structure. The fuselage consisted of a welded tubular steel frame, with side moldings and plywood fuselage parts, an aluminum engine cowling. The wooden stabilizer was lined with plywood and fastened with struts to the fuselage.
The rudder was made of fabric-covered tubular steel frame, with guy wires to the stabilizer. The elevators and rudders were made of wood and covered with fabric.
The two-section wing was wooden, assembled according to a two-spar scheme, sheathed with plywood to the rear spar, otherwise covered with fabric. Under the fuselage, before the wing docking, there were two retractable flaps to improve takeoff and landing performance. Fixed front landing gear sheathed fairings and equipped with mechanical brakes.
Initially, the D-EPWD had a sliding tail wheel, later the machines received a fully rotating tail wheel. In an emergency, the cockpit canopy could be completely reset.
The D-EPWD was painted RLM 63 grey, as was customary at the time. The hood and markings are black, the national stripe on the vertical plumage is red with a white circle.