Aviation of World War II
AGO. Apparatebau G.m.b.H. Oschersleben
In the literature, the name of the German aircraft manufacturer AGO Flugzeugwerke (abbreviation Apparatebau GmbH Oschersleben - AGO) does not appear too often. AGO was a small factory in Oschersleben, which, during the re-equipment of the German aviation, was entrusted with the licensed production of Heinkel aircraft. In the second half of the war, the production of Focke-Wulf FW 190 fighters was launched at the facilities of AGO.
The history of this company is not impressive, although the name Otto, the founder of AGO, is not something unknown in the history of aviation. Dr. Nikolaus Otto was an inventor who founded an engineering company in 1867, but his main achievement was the invention of a functioning four-stroke gasoline engine.
His son Gustav Otto began his acquaintance with aviation with the purchase in 1909 of three aircraft designed by Louis Blériot. Soon he represented the French company Blériot Aéronautique in Germany and sold aircraft manufactured under license at the Muhlhausener Aviatikwerke plant. Then, under the brand name AGO, the development and production of liquid-cooled engines developed 160 hp. In Munich, this company had a branch, which, however, ceased to exist. After the war, Otto founded a new company in Oschersleben - AGO, which began to manufacture cars and their parts. The global economic crisis was fatal for the plant, but the company was restored orders, first secret, and then officially new Luftwaffe.