At the end of 1939, the first "Berta" Ju-87B-1 was replaced in production by the Ju-87B-2 dive bomber, which for the first time appeared on a rod to carry a dropped bomb outside the circle of rotation of the propeller. The new bomb rack made it possible to hang a bomb up to 1000 kg, although a radio operator was not taken in this case.
The increased power of the Jumo 211Da motor required an increase in the area of the cooling radiator, and its fairing has also changed. Jet exhausts, first seen on the latest B-1s, are now standard on the B-1.
The increased power of the engine required an increase in fuel consumption, which reduced the range of action, with a 500-kg bomb, it barely reached 590 km. In addition, hydraulic rather than manual control of the radiator shutters was introduced, a new wooden propeller with wider blades.
Of the minor innovations, one can note a photo-movie machine gun on the left half of the wing, fairings for MG-17 machine guns, a hatch for accessing the manual engine start drive, and a friend or foe identification system.
Various factory variants of this modification included the Ju-87B-2/U2 with an improved radio, the Ju-87B-2/U3 with increased armor protection for use as a close support aircraft, and the Ju-87B-2/U4 with a ski chassis.
In addition, there was a version of the Jn-87B-2 / Trop for service in North Africa - with an air filter and a set of accessories for operation in the desert. The last model, along with the usual Ju-87B-2s, were delivered to Italy (where they were called "Picciatello"); in addition, Ju-87B-2s were transferred to Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania.
By the start of World War II, Germany had 336 Ju-87B aircraft in combat units, the production of all variants of the Ju-87B-2 is estimated at about 827 aircraft.