Caproni Ca.135 is a medium bomber, twin-engine monoplane of mixed design with two-fin tail and retractable landing gear. Designed by I. Pallavicino at the design bureau of Caproni Bergamaschi, first flight on April 1, 1935. The power plant is two Isotta-Fraschini Esso XI RC radial engines with a capacity of 800 hp each.
The fuselage is of mixed construction, with a working skin of the front part of the fuselage and a rear section of welded pipes, with a wooden and canvas covering. The structure of the wing was made of wood - metal, sheathed with linen and wood.
To improve flight performance in 1938. Typo Spania aircraft were equipped with Fiat A.80 RC or Piaggio P.XI RC 40 radial engines with a capacity of 1000 hp each. from. The Piaggio version proved to be more successful and, designated the Ca 135 P.XI, received redesigned engine hoods, a nose section and a Caproni Lancianni dorsal turret.
Ca 135 bis were ordered for the Hungarian Air Force, which received about 100 aircraft, where they were used in the second half of 1941 in hostilities against the USSR as day and night bombers. In Italy, they were used for educational purposes only.
In Hungary, by 1943, "Caproni" Sa.135bis were considered obsolete and were withdrawn from the front-line units of the first line, but continued to be used in operations against partisans.
On August 2, 1943, three Kaproni Ca.135bis twin-engined bombers from the 4th Hungarian Bomber Air Group dropped 4.8 tons of bombs on the Kovpak partisan positions between Kolomyya and Delyatin. One of the planes was hit and crashed during a forced landing on a rocky spit in the valley of the Tissa River. Its crew, led by Senior Lieutenant Gustav Halmay (fohadnagy Gusztav Halmay), survived.
The next day, the "Caproni" was joined by WM-21 single-engine light biplane bombers from the 4th short-range reconnaissance group. One of them, for some unknown reason, did not return to the airfield.
The piquancy of the situation lies in the fact that on August 3, the Hungarian aviation struck not at the partisans, but at the positions of the German separate 26th mountain-jaeger regiment on Mount Sinichka, left by the partisans on the night of August 2 to 3. As a result, the regiment, which had been transferred from Norway to the Carpathians just ten days earlier, completely lost its combat effectiveness. The scandal that had begun between the allies was hushed up only at the highest level through the efforts of SS Reichsfuehrer Himmler, who personally oversaw the conduct of this anti-partisan operation from Krakow.