Medium Transport Aircraft
Medium transport aircraft G.18 was built for the needs of Avio Linee Italiane - its own airline company FIAT. The airliner was Gabrielle's answer to the DC-1 and DC-2. The aircraft was an all-metal cantilever low-wing aircraft with a thin duralumin skin and embodied a number of design solutions studied by Gabrieli during a business trip to the United States. The main landing gear was retracted into the engine nacelles, leaving the wheels partially protruding beyond their contours, and the power plant included two 700 hp A.59 R radial piston engines. The engines rotated three-blade variable-pitch propellers. The number of the crew is three people, the passenger capacity is 18 people.
The machine made its first flight on March 18, 1935. However, tests of the prototype revealed insufficient power of the power plant, as a result, on March 1, 1937, the G.18V, equipped with A.80 RC.41 engines, with a capacity of 1000 hp, took to the air. each featuring a redesigned vertical tail unit and ventral ridge along almost the entire length of the fuselage. Six G.18Vs were built, all of which entered Avio Linee Italiane and flew on routes linking Rome, Turin, Milan and Venice with nine European countries.
In 1939, it was decided to convert the liner into an aircraft for military needs, turning it into a transport and passenger. As a result, the G.18V variant was launched into mass production, which had some modifications in the design. A total of 9 aircraft were built, which were soon transferred to the disposal of Regia Aeronautica.