Aviation of Word War II

Home Russian

MS.410

Fighter

Morane-Saulnier

MS.410

MS.410 is the last improved serial modification of this aircraft, released following combat missions MS.406.

The design of the modified fighter did not have any radical differences from its predecessor. Directly, the cockpit was completely covered with a transparent canopy with a sliding back middle section. Behind the pilot's seat, a place was provided for a radio station, the whip antennas of which were located below and above the fuselage, and the lower antenna, when landing, folded along the fuselage backward in flight. The MS.410 first had an armored back. The entire rear of the fighter, up to the cockpit, was sheathed with canvas. For greater rigidity of the tail, the stabilizers received additional upper braces, while the elevators and rudders were sheathed with canvas. The front part of the fuselage was separated by a firewall, behind which an unprotected fuel tank was located.

The propeller group of the fighter consisted of a V-shaped 12-cylinder Hispano-Suiza 12Y engine with a capacity of 860 hp. and a three-blade metal Chavier propeller. The oil cooler located in the nose itself did not have any changes, and the lower water cooler was fixed. This reduced the speed somewhat, but saved the aircraft from one of the biggest disadvantages of the MS.406 - the "popping out" of the radiator during abrupt evolutions of the aircraft. In addition, jet tailpipes were introduced.

The wing consoles have undergone changes - the leading edge at the junction with the center wing has become smoother.

The fighter's armament now consisted of one Hispano-Suiza HS9 20-mm motor-gun and four 7.5-mm М1934 М39 machine guns in the wing, which had 550 rounds of ammunition per barrel. Drum-type magazines, which were one of the highlights of the MS.406, have been replaced by tape feed. A collimator sight was also introduced.

MS.410 Specifications
Crew 1
Dimensions
Wing span, m 10.60
Wing area, m² 16.00
Length, m 8.15
Powerplant
1 × PE Hispano-Suiza 12Y 31, power, hp 1 × 860
Weight, kg:
Empty plane 1,900
Loaded weight 2,470
Performance
Maximum speed, km/h 470
Rate of climb, m/min 520
Service ceiling, m 8500
Armament
20 mm cannon in the fuselage, 4 × 7.5 mm machine guns in the wing

The MS.410 prototype was successfully tested in January-February 1940. With a slight increase in the flight mass, the maximum speed of the fighter should have increased to 509 km / h at an altitude of 4000 meters, but in fact it was 470 km / h. Since there was no time left for the deployment of mass production, it was decided to upgrade the already built MS.406. However, by May 10, 1940, only 5 aircraft were ready, and before the signing of the armistice, another 74 fighters had been converted. They did not have time to take part in hostilities against Germany.

After the conclusion of the armistice, the bulk of the updated fighters remained subordinate to the Vichy Air Force and were in service until November 1942. Another part, requisitioned by the Germans, was distributed among the allies of Germany.

During 1941-1944. Finnish MS.410 (see photo above) made very few sorties. According to foreign sources, their pilots have recorded at least 10 victories. Not all of the "Morans" survived to the end of the war, although a few copies flew until the early 1950s.

Several MS.410 among 48 other "Moranians", in 1942 the Germans handed over to the Croatian army. It was not possible to find any details about their combat use.

Photo Description
Drawing MS.410

Drawing MS.410

Bibliography

  • Fighter Morane-Saulnier MS.410 / Andrey Krumkach /
  • Encyclopedia of Military Equipment / Aerospace Publising /