DI-6 (Two-seat fighter). The aircraft was a mixed-design one-and-a-half-plane with retractable landing gear, equipped with an M-25 nine-cylinder air-cooled engine. The wing box consisted of upper and lower center sections, two pairs of consoles and X-shaped struts and ribbons. Both wings are of two-spar wooden structure with canvas sheathing. Slotted ailerons with a duralumin set and linen sheathing are suspended at the ends of the upper wing only behind the struts. In the center section of the upper wing there were two gas tanks of 76 liters each. The relative thickness of the center section profile decreased towards the middle. The center section is attached to the fuselage with two N-shaped brackets made of chrome-molybdenum pipes.
Fuselage - welded truss made of chrome-molybdenum pipes. Rigid spatial truss was pivotally connected to the engine and the lower center section. Duralumin formwork is fixed on the farm for fastening the cladding: the front part to the pilot's seat is duralumin, then linen. The cockpit is of an open type with a protective visor made of triplex glass. Seat, adjustable for the height of the pilot on the ground.
Closed on three sides with celluloid glazing, the arrow's cockpit had one triplex window on each side. The shooter had two seats. The main one - facing the tail, connected kinematically with the arc carrying the pivot shooting installation with the ShKAS machine gun, and the additional one, reclining from the starboard side, which made it possible to sit facing in the direction of flight. The cockpit fairing of the arrow consisted of two halves, connected by a lock along the longitudinal axis of the aircraft and dropped in an emergency. The left half was reclined when the shooter got into the cockpit.
Control - single, normal with wire rope. The pedals were adjusted for the height of the pilot.
Single fin tail unit with fixed stabilizer. Stabilizer and elevators with a duralumin power frame and linen sheathing. Elevators with axial compensation. The keel consisted of an all-metal bottom (a stabilizer was attached to it) and an upper part with a duralumin frame and linen sheathing. Rudder without compensation with duralumin frame and linen sheathing.
The retractable chassis was equipped with 750 × 125 mm brake wheels with oil-pneumatic internal shock absorption. Cleaning was carried out with a rigid compressed air device. The lifting device had a mechanical emergency manual drive for landing gear. Tail crutch uncontrollable with oil-pneumatic shock absorption.
First flight on September 30, 1934. In the fall of 1937, during state tests of serial aircraft No.81034 (photo above), the range was determined with a take-off weight of 2033 kg, a fuel supply of 162 kg (the remainder of 15 kg). In particular, at an altitude of 1020 m at a speed of 220 km / h, it was 460 km, and at 5750 m at a speed of 250 km / h - 517 km. As before, communication left much to be desired, both with the ground and between the crew members. The test report also noted the insufficient efficiency of the ailerons at speeds less than 200 km / h, the fire hazard of the gas tank drain prompter near the exhaust pipe of the upper engine cylinders, the open location of the control cables in the rear cab.
In December 1937, pilot Nikashin with test lettuer Sokolov completed state tests of the improved serial DI-6M-25V (No.81024), which was distinguished by the M-25V engine with a takeoff power of 775 hp, lowered horizontal tail, increased by 0.254 m & # 178; aileron area, sound signaling of landing gear retraction and release. The control of the wheel brakes was transferred to the aircraft control stick, the power supply units for wing-mounted machine guns of the plant No.81 design were used and the upper center section tanks were strengthened. As a result of the downward displacement, the rigidity increased and the vibration amplitude of the horizontal tail decreased. Its efficiency increased during takeoff: the plane began to easily tear off its tail at the beginning of the takeoff run. It has become more convenient to control the wheel brakes from the aircraft control stick than from the pedals.
|Wing span upper, m
|Wing area, m²
|1 × Radial PE M-25, power, hp
||1 × 700
|Weights and loads, kg: |
|Empty weight, kg
|Loaded weight, kg
|Maximum speed near the ground, km/h
|Maximum speed at altitude, km/h
|RAte of climb, m/min
|Service ceiling, m
|Service range, km
|Three 7.62-mm ShKAS machine guns, bombs, kg
A military series of 10 vehicles was produced at plant number 39 in 1936. The lead vehicle of the military series was transferred to the Air Force in June 1936.
In 1937, factories # 1 and # 81 produced 61 and 51 DI-6, respectively. The following year, Plant No. 81 produced the last 100 aircraft. In total, 222 aircraft were produced at three factories in 1936-38.
On October 1, 1937, there were 28 DI-6s in the Air Force units. In October 1938, the 52nd Omsk Attack Air Brigade had 29 DI-6SH. In October 1938, the BOVO Air Force - 14th ShAP of the 114th Gomel Attack Air Brigade had 60 DI-6Sh aircraft, of which 6 were faulty. According to the approved staff of the Red Army Air Force on January 1, 1939, it was planned to keep in service 60 DI-6I in fighter aircraft and 64 DI-6SH in assault aviation.
In 1939, the gradual displacement of the DI-6 from combat units to training and reconnaissance units began. By the fall of 1939, many squadrons armed with DI-6 began to retrain on the I-15 bis. After two years of operation of the DI-6 in the Kiev Special Military District in the summer of 1939, they came to the conclusion that it would be more expedient to use them as scouts, which was done during the military campaign in Poland.
- The history of aircraft designs in the USSR, 1938-1950. / V.B. Shavrov /
- Fighter DI-6 / KR Ivnamin Sultanov /
- Lost in the ranks / KR Nikolay Soiko /
The first in our country two-seat fighters DI-1 and DI-2 were developed under the leadership of N.N. Polikarpov in the second half of the 1920s at the Moscow aircraft plant No.1. Then this work was continued at the Central Design Bureau of the Aviarabotnik plant named after Menzhinsky. In the summer of 1931, a mixed-design biplane DI-3 was built there, and at the beginning of 1933 a strut-braced all-metal high-wing DI-4 by the French designer A. Lavil. All of them became prototypes. A logical continuation of this direction in the Central Design Bureau of the Aviarabotnik plant was the creation by the brigade of S.A. Kocherigin in the summer of 1934 two-seat biplane TsKB-11 or DI-6. The aircraft designer V.P. Yatsenko. Behind the shoulders of a recent graduate of the Moscow Aviation Institute, there was a great life and professional experience. After graduating from the Kursk real school in 1915, Vladimir Panfilovich served in the army as an aircraft mechanic and mechanic, worked as a designer at V.V. Slyusarenko, A.A. Porokhovshchikova and Yu.A. Möller. Since 1924, at the plant No.1 under the leadership of N.N. Polikarpova Yatsenko designed the fuselages of the I-3, DI-2, U-2, TB-2 and R-5 aircraft.
In October 1929, he was appointed a leading designer at the Central Design Bureau of Plant No.39. In the fall of 1931, Yatsenko headed the newly formed design group of two-seat fighters TsKB-TsAGI, which worked at the TsAGI experimental design plant. The next year, after another structural restructuring of the experimental aircraft construction, the V.P. Yatsenko was attached to the brigade of attack aircraft and scouts of Sergei Alekseevich Kocherigin at plant No.39.