Marine Long-range Recognaissance Aircraft
MDR-5 was an all-metal twin-engine monoplane with engines on the leading edge of the wing. The plane was built in two copies at once - a flying boat and an amphibian on wheels. The middle part of the engine hoods was made in the form of flaps, and the lower ones in the open position served as footrests. On the wing beams, covered with fairings, bomb racks are installed with the possibility of hanging bombs in various combinations.
The first aircraft was ready in May 1938, however, due to the high landing speed on September 10, 1938, the first car was destroyed during landing and was not restored (the crew was not injured).
Factory tests were continued on the second version of the MDR-5. On January 19, 1939, the first flight took place, during which defects were found on the land landing gear. To improve seaworthiness on the wave, the bow of the boat was lengthened by 30 cm, the amphibious chassis was abolished, and the wheel niches were sealed.
Factory tests of MDR-5 in the naval version continued from May 14, 1939. The aircraft showed good flight data during tests, flew steadily on one engine and made evolutions. The efforts applied to the steering wheel and pedals were normal. The aircraft piloting technique required at least average qualifications from the pilot.
|Wing span, m
|Wing area, m²
|2 × PE
|Takeoff power, hp
||2 × 950
||2 × 1100
|Maximum speed, km/h
|Cruising speed, km/h
|Service range, km
|Rate of climb, m/min
|Service ceiling, m
|12.7 machine gun UB
|7.62 machine gun ShKAS, bombs, kg: