Photos & Drawings
Su-9. A single front-line fighter and a light bomber - with two RD-10 jet engines of 900 kg of thrust each. Assembled according to a scheme similar to the German Me 262, with two Soviet counterparts Jumo 004, the Su-9, however, was not a copy of the Me262. Made entirely of metal, by the end of the war, the problems of the German aircraft industry with aluminum were forced to make a jet aircraft of a mixed design, the Su-9 had flight qualities almost similar to the German one. In the future, with the installation of a bow locator and an increase in engine thrust, it was planned to use it as a fighter-interceptor, but this was already a different aircraft.
The wing of the aircraft did not have a sweep, in the German sweep was caused by the need to shift the center of the aircraft. For the first time, an ejection seat was installed on the plane, based on the ejection seat of He 162, He 219 aircraft.
The plane was released in 1946 and on August 3, 1947 was shown at the parade in Tushino. It was not built in series.
Aircraft design. The single-seat Su-9 fighter was an all-metal twin-engine midwing plane with a cantilever trapezoidal wing, a single-keel vertical tail and a three-wheeled retractable landing gear with a nose support. The fuselage is a one-piece, oval-section semi-monocoque structure with a smooth skin. Its frame consisted of 33 frames connected by four spars and stringers. In the bow, under easily removable panels, there was an armament compartment, which housed three cannons and a photo-machine gun. Under it was a niche for the front landing gear. Next was the front 1300-liter fuel tank. In the middle of the fuselage was the cockpit, closed by a drop-shaped canopy with a sliding rear part. To protect the pilot, booking was envisaged: front - armor plate 15 mm thick (in front of the tank) and 90-mm bulletproof glass; at the back - a 12-mm armored backrest and a plate under the seat, as well as a 6-mm headrest. Behind the cab there was a compartment for the rear fuel tank with a volume of 1066 liters, and below it were the niches of the main landing gear. The aft fuselage housed radio and electrical equipment, as well as a parachute braking system.
Wing - single-spar with two additional longitudinal walls consisted of two consoles, each of which was attached to the fuselage using four docking nodes. To transmit torque, the wing skin along the contour of the root rib was bolted to a power angle riveted to the fuselage, equipped with anchor nuts. The wing root profile is TsAGI 12145, the end profile is TsAGI 1S10-12. Mounting angle of the wing - + 1 °, transverse "V" - + 4 ° 20 '. Ailerons - single-spar, deflected by ± 17 ° 30 '. A trim tab was located at the root of the left aileron. The flaps were located between the fuselage and engine nacelles and deflected downward at an angle of up to 50 °. The brake flaps were located between the engine nacelles and ailerons, consisted of the upper and lower halves and could open both synchronously - up and down at an angle of up to 57 ° 5 ', and only down (lower half), simultaneously with the flaps extended.
The tail unit included a two-spar keel with a rudder and an adjustable three-spar stabilizer with an elevator. With the help of a special mechanism, the angle of installation of the stabilizer could be changed from + 3 ° to -6 ° 30 '. The elevator deviated by angles from + 30 ° to -25 °, and directions - by ± 30 °. The steering wheels were equipped with trimmers.
The front landing gear was equipped with paired wheels and retracted into the fuselage downstream. The main supports were attached to the wing consoles. During cleaning, the wheels turned 90 ° relative to the struts and hid in the fuselage niche. All wheels are brake. The size of the pneumatics of the main supports is 750x260 mm, the nose one is 500x150 mm.
The power plant included two RD-10 turbojet engines (replaceable with Jumo 004), which were suspended under consoles on three nodes. The fuel was kerosene.
The armament of the aircraft included one 37-mm NS-37 cannon and two 23-mm NS-23 cannons. It was planned to install a battery of four NS-23 guns. If necessary, the NS-37 could be replaced with a 45 mm H-45 cannon. For firing in the cockpit there was a PBP-1 collimator sight, and for its control in the nose there was a PAU-22 film gun. An easily removable bomb rack was located below the bow, which made it possible to hang two FAB-250 bombs or one FAB-500. True, in order for the takeoff weight of the aircraft to remain within the normal range, when using bombs, it was necessary to dismantle the NS-37 cannon.
The aircraft was equipped with a full set of instrumental, radio, oxygen and photographic equipment in accordance with the Air Force OTT of 1946 for fighters of this class.
People & Aircraft
Photos & Drawings