Light Multipurpose Attack Aircraft
Westland Wapiti is a British lightweight multipurpose attack aircraft from the Westland Aircraft Company. In March 1927, a prototype began to be tested.
The Westland Wapiti was a single-engine biplane of mixed design with fixed landing gear. The engine was installed depending on the modification. The aircraft crew consisted of 2 people. Armament included one synchronized 7.7 mm Vickers machine gun and one Lewis machine gun of the same caliber above the rear cockpit; bomb load up to 263 kg.
By the time the Second World War began, Wapiti were still in service with countries such as Canada, India, South Africa (modern South Africa). Canadian Air Force aircraft patrolled the coast in search of submarines from September 1939 to April 1940. South American aircraft also carried out reconnaissance off the South American coast and South West Africa. In the fall of 1940, they took part in battles on the Kenyan-Somali border.
Squadrons of Great Britain in India and the Indian Air Force removed the Westland Wapiti from service in mid-1940, then they were used in flight schools for several years. Wapiti was transferred to Canadian aviation schools in April 1940, some aircraft were used as target towing vehicles until August 1940. In 1941, the South American Air Force finally removed the Wapiti from service.