Transport flying boat
The YRS-1 transport flying boat was a variant for the US Navy aviation of the S-43 "Baby Clipper" passenger amphibian - a smaller version of the four-engine S-42 "Clipper".
The aircraft was an all-metal monoplane with a wing raised above the fuselage on a pylon. Depending on the interior layout, the car could accommodate 18-25 passengers. The S-43 was supplied to airlines in the USA, Norway, Brazil and several other countries. In 1937, deliveries of such aircraft in transport versions to the US Army and Navy began. A total of 53 S-43s were produced, of which 22 were in military versions.
Power plant - two 9-cylinder air-cooled Pratt & Whitney R-1690-52 Hornet engines (750 hp). There were no weapons. Crew - 3-4 people. Capacity - 19 passengers.
In 1937-1939 17 units of OA-8 were delivered - a variant for the US Army, mainly corresponding to the JRS-1. In 1937, 5 aircraft were delivered, and in 1942, another former civilian aircraft, designated OA-11, was delivered.
After the United States entered World War II, a number of JRS-1s (sources give various figures - up to 10 vehicles) received bomb racks for 2 × 227 kg bombs (small arms were not installed) and in the first half of 1942 were used for anti-submarine patrols in Hawaii and the West Coast of the United States.
Subsequently, JRS-1 returned to transport tasks. The last of them were in operation until 1944; in the US Army, the OA-8 and OA-11 aircraft served as transport aircraft until the end of 1945.